8 Hour Suspended Scaffold User Refresher
- $200.00 per person
- $180.00 per person for groups of 4-5 (10% discount)
- $170.00 per person for groups of 6+ (15% discount)
- 100% attendance for the course
- Completion of Continuing Education and Training Registration Form
- Active participation in all class exercises (determined by course instructor)
- Completion of required pre-and post-quiz assessment
- As applicable, achievement of minimum passing score on required end-of-course examination
- Participation and submittal of end-of-course evaluation form (must provide name on form to receive credit)
Students attending this course should have previously taken a 16 Hour User Suspended Scaffold or 8 Hour User Suspended Scaffold Refresher within the last 4 years from an approved training provider. The expired or soon to be expired card must be presented prior to the start of the course.
Training Requirements for 8 Hour Suspended Scaffold User Refresher
As per 33188.8.131.52 of the 2014 NYC Construction Codes, this 8 Hour Refresher is required by the New York City Department of Buildings (DOB) to continue to use or work on suspended scaffolds in New York City. The original 8 Hour Suspended Scaffold User Refresher or 16 Hour Suspended Scaffold User Refresher ID card must be renewed within 1 year from its expiration date. Should individual not renew their card within the allowed time, they will no longer be eligible to attend an 8 Hour Refresher and must retake the original 16-hour class.
This course is intended for workers who are renewing an expired or soon to be expired 16 Hour User Suspended Scaffold or 8 Hour User Suspended Scaffold ID card to continue to use suspended scaffolds in NYC.
Training will include instruction on how to visually inspect suspended scaffold equipment, identify basic scaffold components, and execute safe assembly and disassembly of the equipment. Students are required to participate in all class exercises, which shall include use of various types of suspended scaffolding and rigging operations.
The instructor will assess students to determine if each student is capable of applying rope knots, terminating wire rope, building a block and tackle system, and operating scaffold hoist motor and each student will independently complete a multiple choice final exam.
Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Identify suspended scaffold systems and their essential components
- Identify the most common suspended scaffold hazards
- Explain how to prevent exposure to suspended scaffold hazards
- Identify New York City Department of Buildings and OSHA regulations that pertain to scaffold design and use
- Demonstrate ability to properly inspect and attach personal fall arrest system used by suspended scaffold workers
- Apply various knots and hitches to hoisting and fall protection scenarios
- Assemble block and tackle for a fiber rope light duty scaffold
- Construct the wire rope termination for hoisting rope on suspended scaffolds.
Students are required to complete 100% of the course and actively participate in all learning activities including hands-on demonstrations and the final course exam. Students must obtain a score of 70% or higher on the hands on and written exam to receive a 8 Hour Suspended Scaffold User Refresher ID card. This card is valid for 4 years.
Students who do not pass the written or practical exam will have one opportunity to retake the entire 8-hour course and retake the exam at reduced fee of $150. Students must contact TSCTA to schedule and pay for the retake class within 6 months following the original class date.
Make-up time is not permitted for this training course. Should students miss any portion of the training, it is the student’s responsibility to contact TSCTA to arrange to attend another scheduled event.