Groups of 4-5
per person (10% discount)
Groups of 6+
per person (15% discount)
During the training, students will be provided with an overview of OSHA and DOB policies, procedures, and ASME rigging standards with a special emphasis on recognition and prevention of hazardous conditions.
Additional topics will include instructions on how to visually inspect rigging equipment, basic crane components, crane setup and methods of applying proper rigging hitches. Students will participate in hands-on exercises in which they will be responsible for presenting, installing and using various rigging applications.
Hands-on assessment will be made by instructor to determine if each student is capable of applying rope knots, inspect rigging hardware and apply learned rigging lifting techniques. Immediately prior to the end of the course, students will independently participate in a multiple-choice final exam.
Course Hours8 Hours
Course Sessions2-3 Sessions
Course LanguagesEnglish, Spanish
Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Recognize hazards associated to rigging in construction
- Inspect rigging equipment in accordance to ASME, OSHA and manufacturer requirements
- Identify hitch configurations, equipment capacities and basic knots
- Use rigging equipment and hitches in various applications
- 100% attendance for the course
- Completion of Continuing Education and Training Registration Form
- Active participation in all class exercises (determined by course instructor)
- Completion of required pre-and post-quiz assessment
- As applicable, achievement of minimum passing score on required end-of-course examination
- Participation and submittal of end-of-course evaluation form (must provide name on form to receive credit)
Students attending this course should have previously taken a 16-Hour Rigging Worker or 8-Hour Rigging Worker Refresher within the last 4 years from an approved training provider. The expired or soon to be expired card must be presented prior to the start of the course.
Training Requirements for 8 Hour Rigging Worker Refresher
As per 33184.108.40.206 of the 2014 NYC Construction Codes, this course is required by the New York City Department of Buildings (DOB) for individuals, not hired directly by a licensed rigger to continue to perform rigging or signaling work within the City of New York.
This course is intended for workers who are renewing an expired or soon to be expired 16-Hour Rigging Worker or 8-Hour Rigging Worker Refresher ID card to continue to perform rigging or signaling work in conjunction with the hoisting or lowering of articles on the outside of a building with hoisting equipment.
100% attendance and active participation in all learning activities including hands-on class exercises and the final exam is required. Students must earn a score of 70% or higher on the written and practical examination to receive an 8-Hour Rigging Worker Refresher ID card. This card is valid for 4 years.
Students who do not pass the written or practical exam will have one opportunity to retake the entire 8-hour course and retake the exam at reduced fee of $150. Students must contact Gallagher Bassett to schedule and pay for the retake class within 6 months following the original class date.
Make-up time is not permitted for this training course. Students who miss time from any individual session must reschedule and attend the full training course.