This is an awareness-level course only and does not qualify the student to OPERATE a mobile elevating work platform.
Mobile Elevating Work Platforms (MEWP) are machines/devices intended for moving persons, tools, and materials to a working position, consisting of at least a work platform with controls, an extending structure, and a chassis. The most common examples of MEWPs include Articulating Boom Lifts, Scissor Lifts, Vertical Lifts.
MEWP is a device that enables access to hard-to-reach places by lifting a platform into the air. These devices give workers temporary access to otherwise inaccessible locations. The devices are easy to use and are typically safer to use than ladders and scaffolds. These devices are usually powered by electricity, gas, pneumatic, or hydraulic systems that power a series of supports, lifting the work platform. The purpose of the MEWP Awareness class is to review and explain basic safety rules associated with the use, operation, and inspection of MEWP units. The course curriculum includes updated ANSI A.92 Standard requirements for Mobile Elevating Work Platforms that came to life on June 1st of 2020. This awareness course is designed to help workers avoid accidents and injuries while working on or around MEWPs.
Please note that this session does not meet OSHA requirements for aerial lift operators training which must be provided by a qualified person and include specific criteria listed under ANSI 92.24 Standard.
Course Hours4 Hours
Course Sessions1 Sessions
Course LanguagesEnglish, Spanish
Onsite TrainingRequest Onsite Training
Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Identify different types of MEWPs based on ANSI classification
- List the training requirements for all personnel involved in platform operations
- Recognize hazards associated with the use of MEWPs
- Conduct a site risk assessment
- Explain how to perform pre-operational and work zone inspections
- Discuss basic principles of safe operation of MEWPs
Please note that this session does not meet OSHA requirements for aerial lift operator training. Operator training must be provided by the equipment manufacturer or rental company.
- 100% attendance for the course
- Completion of Continuing Education and Training Registration Form
- Active participation in all class exercises (determined by course instructor)
- Completion of required pre-and post-quiz assessment
- As applicable, achievement of a minimum passing score on the required end-of-course examination
- Participation and submittal of end-of-course evaluation form (must provide their name on the form to receive credit)
There are no prerequisites needed to attend this course. However, students must be able to verbally communicate with the instructor in the primary language of the training.
Training Requirements for Mobile Elevating Work Platform Awareness
This course is voluntary and does not meet any specific regulatory or industry requirement.
This awareness-level course is for individuals required to work around MEWPs, including site supervisors and safety personnel. This course is intended for the Construction Industry, including private construction, industrial, and commercial, and General Industry, including manufacturing, warehouses, and retail.
Students are required to complete 100% of the course and actively participate in all learning activities including the review quiz to receive the Mobile Elevating Work Platform Awareness completion certificate.
Make-up time is not permitted for this training course. Students who miss time from any individual session must reschedule and attend the full training course.
Read Gallagher Bassett’s full attendance and make-up time policies here.