Groups of 10+
per person (10% discount)
This FDNY-approved course is a prerequisite for anyone applying to take the Coordinator of Fire Safety and Alarm Systems in Homeless shelters F-80 Certificate of Fitness exam.
Coordinators of Fire Safety and Alarm System in Homeless Shelters are required for all homeless shelters and in any building or occupancy mandated to have a one-way voice communication system, regardless of occupancy classification, that is operated or occupied by more than 15 persons for a period of more than 30 days, including emergency shelters. The F-80 Certificate of Fitness is premise-related and does not apply to buildings such as hotels, motels, offices and apartment buildings.
Through this training, students will be prepared for their role as Coordinator and its duties: developing, implementing and supervising all fire prevention and fire protection programs on premise.
Pertinent NYC Fire Codes will be reviewed by the instructor, along with fire safety plan components such as fire drill and evacuation procedures, and the responsibility of knowing how to operate all fire protection devices in the shelter. Other information relevant to the Coordinator’s responsibilities will be covered as well.
Course Hours8 Hours
Course Sessions1-2 Sessions
Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Successfully identify the buildings and occupancies requiring Coordinators of Fire Safety & Alarm Systems in Homeless Shelters.
- Identify rules and regulations that were promulgated after serious fires in New York City homeless shelters.
- Understand the role and responsibilities of the F-80 Coordinator of Fire Safety & Alarm Systems in Homeless Shelters
- Recognize procedures and requirements homeless shelters must comply within their site-specific emergency preparedness plan
- Identify the operation and major components of the fire alarm system in their shelter
- 100% attendance for the course
- Completion of Continuing Education and Training Registration Form
- Active participation in all class exercises (determined by course instructor)
- Completion of required pre-and post-quiz assessment
- As applicable, achievement of minimum passing score on required end-of-course examination
- Participation and submittal of end-of-course evaluation form (must provide name on form to receive credit)
There are no prerequisites needed to attend this course, however it is is recommended that the Coordinator candidate have a strong understanding of firefighting and fire protection techniques. Students must be able to demonstrate an ability to read and write in English.
Training Requirements for F-80 Coordinator for Fire Safety and Alarm Systems
This course fulfills the training requirement for candidates applying for the F-80 Coordinator of Fire Safety and Alarm Systems in Homeless Shelters. The course completion certification and the letter is valid for 1 year. Applicants have 1 year from the date of completing the course to apply to take the F-80 C of F exam.
Note: Applicants not currently employed may take the FDNY Computer Based Test (CBT) without the F-80 Verification Letter of F-80 Application. If the applicant passes the test, FDNY will issue a temporary letter with a photo for job-seeking purposes. The Certificate of Fitness card will not be issued unless the applicant is employed and submits both the F-80 Verification Letter and F-80 Application.
Individuals that are interested in applying for the F-80 Coordinator of Fire Safety and Alarm Systems in Homeless Shelters Certificate of Fitness.
Methods of Instruction
This course consists of several different components which include PowerPoint presentations, lectures, real-life case studies, and class discussions.
Students are required to complete 100% of the course and actively participate in all learning activities including hands-on demonstrations, review quiz and final exam. Students must receive a minimum passing score of 70% on the 50-question multiple choice exam to receive the course completion certificate and verification letter. Students are allotted 2 hours to complete the exam, which is not open book. Students who do not pass the end-of-course test will be extended a second opportunity to take the exam. It is the student’s responsibility to contact TSCTA to schedule their retake exam within one week of the original class date.
Students who do not successfully pass the exam a second time will have the option of registering for another F-80 Coordinator for Fire Safety and Alarm Systems in Homeless Shelters training course at a reduced price of 50% of the original course fee. Students must contact TSCTA to schedule and pay for the retake class within 6 months following the original class date. After 6 months, students will be required to pay the full course fee.
Make-up time is not permitted for this training course. Students who miss time from any individual session must reschedule and attend the full training course.