16-Hour Suspended Scaffold User Course
English, Polish, & Spanish
- $400.00 per person
- $360.00 per person for groups of 4-5 (10% discount)
- $340.00 per person for groups of 6-9 (15% discount)
- $320.00 per person for groups of 10+ (20% discount)
DOB Course Code
During this 16-hour course, students will be provided with an overview of OSHA and DOB policies, procedures, and suspended scaffold standards with a special emphasis on recognition and prevention of hazardous conditions. Some topics will include instructions on how to visually inspect suspended scaffold equipment, basic scaffold components, and methods of assembling/disassembling them. Students will also participate in hands-on exercises in which they will be responsible for presenting, building, and using various scaffolding and rigging applications.
The instructor will assess students to determine if each student is capable of applying rope knots, terminating wire rope, building a block and tackle system, and operating scaffold hoist motor and each student will independently complete a multiple choice final exam.
Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Identify suspended scaffold systems and their essential components
- Identify the most common suspended scaffold hazards
- Explain how to prevent exposure to suspended scaffold hazards
- Identify New York City Department of Buildings and OSHA regulations that pertain to scaffold design and use
- Demonstrate ability to properly inspect and attach personal fall arrest system used by suspended scaffold workers
- Apply various knots and hitches to hoisting and fall protection scenarios
- Assemble block and tackle for a fiber rope light duty scaffold
- Construct the wire rope termination for hoisting rope on suspended scaffolds.
- 100% attendance for the course
- Completion of Continuing Education and Training Registration Form
- Active participation in all class exercises (determined by course instructor)
- Completion of required pre-and post-quiz assessment
- As applicable, achievement of minimum passing score on required end-of-course examination
- Participation and submittal of end-of-course evaluation form (must provide name on form to receive credit)
There are no prerequisites needed to attend this course. Students must be able to verbally communicate with instructor in primary language of the training.
Training Requirements for 16 Hour Suspended Scaffold User Course
As per 33126.96.36.199 of the NYC Construction Codes, this course is required by the New York City Department of Buildings (DOB) to use or work on suspended scaffolds in New York City.
Any individual who is required to use or work on a suspended scaffold in New York City.
Students are required to complete 100% of the course and actively participate in all learning activities including hands-on demonstrations and the final course exam. Students must obtain a score of 70% or higher on the hands on and written exam to receive a 16 Hour Suspended Scaffold User ID card. This card is valid for 4 years.
Students who do not pass the written or practical exam will have one opportunity to retake the entire 16-hour course and retake the exam at reduced fee of $150. Students must contact TSCTA to schedule and pay for the retake class within 6 months following the original class date.
Make-up time is not permitted for this training course. Should students miss any portion of the training, it is the student’s responsibility to contact TSCTA to arrange to attend another scheduled event.