30 Hour Special Rigger Training
- $550.00 per person
- $495.00 per person for groups of 4-5 (10% discount)
- $467.50 per person for groups of 6-9 (15% discount)
- $440.00 per person for groups of 10+ (20% discount)
DOB Course Code
During this course, participants will learn the most current rigging standards and the core management skills needed to be an effective Licensed Special Rigger. The course will thoroughly review New York City Construction Codes and OSHA Regulations as it pertains to rigging operations and industry best practices. Material covered will include guidance on how to read scaffold design drawings, how to verify the fitness of the rigging crew, properly train workers on related hazards, and also how to identify and respond to emergency situations.
The course will also include a hands-on portion where the instructor will assess if each student’s capability of applying rope knots, terminating wire rope, building a block, effectively installing fall protection systems, and inspecting/maintaining different types of scaffold hoist motors.
Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Identify special rigging equipment and its hazards
- Discuss common causes of rigging accidents based on case studies
- Outline differences between OSHA and NYC DOB scaffold regulations and their sources
- Develop skills necessary to understand rigging math and calculations
- Perform rigging inspections using provided rigging principles
- Identify critical picks and check rigging paperwork as per 1 RCNY 104-20, 1 RCNY 104-21, 1 RCNY 104-22
- Develop emergencies procedures during scaffold incidents
- Discuss common working platforms and safety protocols for lifting/lowering loads
- 100% attendance for the course
- Completion of Continuing Education and Training Registration Form
- Active participation in all class exercises (determined by course instructor)
- Completion of required pre-and post-quiz assessment
- As applicable, achievement of minimum passing score on required end-of-course examination
- Participation and submittal of end-of-course evaluation form (must provide name on form to receive credit)
There are no prerequisites needed to attend this course, however it is recommended that students have experience in rigging operations, supervision and use of suspended scaffold systems. Students must be able to verbally communicate with instructor in primary language of the training.
Training Requirements for 30 Hour Special Rigger Training
This course is a licensing requirement for applicants for a NYC Department of Buildings (DOB) Special Rigger license. Additionally, as per Title 1 Rules of the City of New York – Chapter 100 – Subchapter D “Licensing and Registration of Businesses, Trades, and Occupations Engaged in Building Work”, this course is required by the New York City DOB to supervise suspended scaffold projects on construction sites in New York City. For additional information, click here.
Experienced supervisors interested in special rigging project supervision as well as safety managers, superintendents, and individuals planning to apply for New York City Special Rigger’s license.
Students are required to complete 100% of the course and actively participate in all learning activities including hands-on demonstrations and the review quiz to receive course completion materials.
Make-up time is not permitted for this training course. Should students miss any portion of the training, it is the student’s responsibility to contact TSCTA to arrange to attend another scheduled event.